Saturday, June 16, 2012

Third Row

At 5:30 yesterday evening I went out to eat with Griffin and we both ordered fish and chips. At least I passed on the chips in favor of pasta salad, but when Griffin couldn't eat his beer-battered and fried fish, I finished it for him and at 10:00 a.m. the next day, I'm still full. I feel like there's a grease swamp in my belly, I'm just not used to eating heavy food like that anymore, although gawd, in the moment, it was so good. I think though, what I really need to find is a good lobster roll, or better yet, a big, fat lobster.

Jonah got {very willingly} kidnapped by his girl-buddies from school yesterday and taken to an amusement park for the first time. Two hour drive each way, a day in the sun, having what appears to be a blast and a half and that kid was one wired maniac when he came home after 10. He finally konked out in my bed mid-sentence {complaining about not being tired and that he'll never fall asleep} and snored for the first time ever. I can't even blame the cancer, I haven't had the energy for this kind of outing in some time, and am in awe of the parents that do. This parent in particular is always taking the kids on great outings, I don't know her well, but she's like J's enrichment coordinator and he has such fun with these girls! The sad thing about our neighborhood is everyone goes to different schools, and they're all headed in different directions next year. I hope they stay in touch and I bet they will because girls know how to do that unlike, ahem... boys.

I've decided I have to buy a car by October, I've got to get out of denial, because the van was treacherous, truly unsafe in the snow, the past two years. I usually want things that are within my means which is a good thing, it's why I'm never underwater, I don't want a Lexus, I don't covet or consider such things. I want a bottom of the line vehicle, a Kia or a Hyundai with a third row of seats that's one or two years old. New would be a thrill, but I'm realistic. What pisses me off is that I can't even have my modest desire because the third row adds $5-$10,000 onto the price which isn't feasible. A car period isn't that feasible, but I truly need a safe vehicle, so I have to figure out how to get one. It makes me mad that I can't have something as simple as a third row of seats especially when I use them all the time shuttling kids around which I like to do.

Then again, I'm typing this from my glorious porch with the glorious new outdoor sofa which is heaven on earth. I listen to the news and I realize how lucky I am, but I wonder, who are these people that just go out and buy Lexuses and Mercedes? how are there so many of them when there's such desperation out there? I'm an NPR junkie but I'm taking a break from the news because I can't listen to that snarky Romney-thing, he's like fingernails on a chalkboard. I think there should be a Make-A-Wish Foundation for adults with cancer, instead of disneyland I'd ask for a car with a third row of seats.

1 comment:

  1. >100k miles hybrid highlander with 3rd row of seats = less than a new subaru. just saying.

    ReplyDelete