Saturday, August 4, 2012

Toasted Marshmallow Heaven

What a difference a few red blood cells make. In the last few days I've spent a little time in the studio, and gone on a boy date with G to eat fish and chips and see Batman. We both loved it, but it requires a little more than the usual suspension of disbelief. Like how did he Bruce Wayne get from this part of the world to that in three minutes enabling him to save the world. I know all these sci-fi, superhero movies require we do this, but it's the movie makers job to make it plausible despite being in the realm of implausible and it can be done. Still, great fun, mindless entertainment, nice night out, first in ages.

The next night my friend C and I took J to the outdoor movie downtown to see It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World which was the movie that was always on t.v. when I was growing up. I remembered the great ending but not how long and rage filled it was. Sheesh, one scene of angry men and screetching women after another, chaos, mayhem and wanton destruction... all in god fun, but I was bored silly. We only made it through half, I'll have to rent it so he can see the end. I'm just really happy that J is becoming so much more amenable to getting out and about.

I saw the film fest at J's camp featuring his John the Gentlemanly Cow which can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-xTkDIImzQ  It makes me smile no matter how many times I watch it. His filmmaking group did a spoof of the Hunger Games. His camp is called RISE camp and is on the grounds of one of our posh local private schools, the competing private school is Wheeler School which also has a summer camp. So they did the RISE Games where the winning home base is showered with endless milk and cookies and the losers are banished to "wheeler-no-fun-camp" and features Catnip Evergreen and Peeta Bread. It was zany and funny and clever and showed a bunch of kids having a damned great time.

I have friends from N.Y. that camp every year at Burlingame State Park in Southern Rhode Island, a tradition they started many years ago because it was equidistant between my friend and her sister in Maine. We usually go visit for the day, but last year the guys and I camped out with them and had the most perfect time. Couldn't camp out this year, had to get back for my shot and just not quite up to it, but J and I drove down yesterday after camp and got to have some campfire time and s'mores and we had such a nice time. J was really bummed we weren't sleeping over, but that makes me excited for next year because it's not often he wants to be away from home. G couldn't come due to football get-your-equipment day, but when I returned the lawn had been mowed to cap off a good day.

My plan was to pick up J at camp and hit the road, but after picking him up I realized I'd forgotten to get gas, forgotten to get my shot and myriad other forgottens. They should add some brain cells to the blood cells for a full on boost.

I'm about to go get today's shot where I have to go into the main hospital because the oncology clinic is closed. I hate going over there, I have to go to the dreariest floor, maybe they're all that dreary, although I think there's a new wing somewhere or other. The room doors are always open and I know it's bad form to look in, but I can't help peeking and you see such sadness. Mostly very old people, but some young and terribly emaciated and no one looks like they're coming out in good shape. I dread ever being on that floor. Sometimes my brief glances turn into indelible snapshots I will never forget, the most powerful of which was of an old lady sleeping while clutching a stuffed cat to her chest. She broke my heart and I don't even know why. Once you're an old lady, you've won the lottery, you've gotten to live a full, long life. And who knows, I'm likely to be clutching a stuffed cat at some point. I really don't know why I can't stop thinking of this lady who I know only from glimpsing for two seconds, but she's always in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment