Thursday, December 20, 2012

To Catch A Thief

I’m listening to the sound of little boy whistling bits of the Nutcracker while getting out his homework. Tall one at computer doing homework, tree lit and pretty, hum of gas fireplace keeping us warm. It’s been a good week, albeit an odd sleepy day. I’ve finally reached the point where I can wait for test results without anxiety, a switch has flipped. I saw the doctor I trust most, and she was baffled as to why my PCP ran a Ferritin test sans the tests that go with it. This one test alone, apparently is quite useless without the corresponding tests that give a more complete picture, additionally it doesn’t actually measure the iron content of my blood, it could just be residual wonkiness left over from chemo. This was explained to me, and it made sense at the time, although like most things, I can’t remember the details. She thinks my liver is stressed from spending a year trying to process so many vats of toxic sludge. So my levels are all out of whack and she thinks they’ll calm down. On the other hand they may not... and I may in fact be laden with heavy metals. Blood has been drawn and sent to myriad destinations, more will go on it’s way every month for the next few and we’ll see. I’m calm, I’m not placing frantic calls begging for results, when they call me, they call me, I’m not going looking for trouble. Nothing is interfering with my thus far, totally awesome, going way too fast, holiday season.

This eating thing has gotten so tricky that I just plain give up. If I have too much iron that means I shouldn’t eat meat, beans, spinach or foods with a lot of vitamin C {my beloved clementines}. My sugar is high, so I should avoid carbs and today I went for acupuncture and she told me not to eat raw fruits and vegetables because those are stressing my body, and as I don’t like cooked vegetables much, I like them cold and crunchy, that’s a problem. My liver is unhappy, so no alcohol, and after that, what is left? So I think I quit, I’m just going to eat what I want, trying to keep it within the confines of healthy and varied, unfortunately, the alcohol ban is an unfortunate no brainer, that I need to adhere to... until xmas eve.

Santa, as always is going to be far too kind to the residents of this house, but I know someone who’s getting coal, nothing but coal. That would be the person, whoever they are, who stole the bulbs right out of my xmas lights, the one’s they could reach anyway and that’s enough to keep them dark, those six empty sockets. These are the lights adorning my store’s sign, the one that juts out perpendicularly from the wall, the one that can’t be seen from the entrance of the building due to my less than optimal, far flung location, the sign that needs to be wrapped up in lights to be seen, to let people know that I’m open. Despite the countless other bulbs I have in my possession, none of them are compatible and I can’t change the whole string because I lost my ladder. Yes I lost a 6’ ladder, and I’m very sad about this because sometimes you really need a ladder and at my height it’s more often than not and additionally, I’ve had that banged up ladder a long time. All I can figure is that I left it at one of my events and it got absorbed into the maintenance room, but they’re not digging that hypothesis and are not giving up any ladders. They will also no longer lend ladders without the signing of forms and paying of a fee to the building manager and on principal, that ain’t happening. If it were left to the maintenance guys, they’d gladly help, but they fear the wrath of management and I don’t blame them. My question is “who the heck steals someone’s tiny light bulbs?” As I don’t expect an answer to that, I take solace in the big pile of coal that surely awaits them and karma.... please let karma be that bitch everyone says it is. I hate that B word, so I’m a little uncomfortable using it, but there’s really not an appropriate synonym. So go karma, go do your thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment